Dawn Nelson, Experienced Rockwall Psychotherapist
Dawn Nelson, LCSW-S, ACSW, SAP, CART – Counselor/Therapist
My role as a therapist is to help you make positive changes in your life. Often, coping mechanisms that have worked in the past no longer work, and you are searching for a new solution, or a new situation is overwhelming and you aren’t certain how to handle it. I do not believe that clients need to be shamed or made to feel guilty; you need empathy and understanding. I will help you explore your choices and feelings to enable you to work to resolve the issue in a safe and non-judgmental environment. As your therapist, it is my priority to create a safe and non-judgmental environment. I do not require a minimum number of sessions because each person’s situation is unique. Some people seek a one-time consult while others need longer-term assistance to reach their goals. I also offer therapy intensives which are longer sessions to enable clients to work more quickly than the standard hour appointment.
I use a variety of approaches to address my clients’ unique needs. Many successful treatment plans will utilize a blend of theories which may include behavioral, biopsychosocial, cognitive/cognitive-behavioral, compassion focus therapy, eclectic, family systems, gestalt, interpersonal, narrative, object relations, person-centered, play therapy, psychodrama, psychodynamic, psychoeducational, rational-emotive, social learning, and solution-focused brief therapy. During our first session, we will tailor a treatment plan and approach that includes tools to help you reach your potential and periodically review it to evaluate if you are reaching your goals.
Education & Credentials:
- State of Texas Licensed Clinical Social Work, #17785
- State of Texas Board Approved Social Work Supervisor
- U.S. Department of Transportation Substance Abuse Professional
- Certified Anger Resolution Therapist
- State of Texas Parenting Facilitator
- State of Texas Professional Mediator
- Clinical Instructor, Texas A&M University-Commerce
- 2020 Nominee for TAMUC Professional Service Award
- State Board of Education Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Health Education Review Group, 2020
- North Central Texas Chair, National Association of Social Workers
- Member & Former National Exam Question Writer, Academy of Certified Social Workers
- Member, Council on Social Work Education
- Member, Texas Council on Family Violence
- Founding Member, 100 Business Leaders of Rockwall County
- Past President, Rockwall Women’s League, a 170-member charity organization that has disbursed over $3 million in community service grants and scholarships for local students.
- Past President, Lake Ray Hubbard and Fort Bend chapters, The Ex-Students’ Association of the University of Texas at Austin.
- Master of Science in Social Work, University of Texas at Austin
- Specialization in Children and Families, University of Texas at Austin
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology & English, University of Texas at Austin